What you imagine that you hear the word of dragon fruit? Maybe that comes to mind is a dragon that usually appears in the fairy tale, which tells of a brave knight who managed to rescue a beautiful princess, which is in brackets in a high tower. The tower was manned by a dragon can breathe fire.
Certainly not the dragon like that. But the fruit that grows on a plant. Called dragon fruit because his skin had scales like a dragon. The original name of this fruit was actually a pitaya fruit. Dragon fruit develops in tropical and subtropical regions, in the region of South America and Asia. Dragon fruit tree itself prickly as a cactus. The fruit is red in color with white or flesh colored dark red, and has black seeds.
Dragon fruit itself has a scientific name:
Cereus, Acanthocereus, Echinocereus, Selenicereus, Stenocereus, Escontria, Myrthillocactus.
Dragon fruit is also known as well as:
Pistacia, Dragon fruit, Red Pitahaya, the night blooming Cereus, Strawberry Pear, Belle of the Night, cinderella plant.
Other common names:
- France: Cierge- lizard, power dis charge,
- German: Echte Distelbirn Stachelbirn, Drachenfrucht.
- Hawaii: Pa-nani-o-ka.
- Portuguese: Cato-Barse, Cardo-ananaz.
- Spain: Pithaya Roja (Colombia, Mexico, Venezuela): flor de caliz, pitajava (Puerto Rico); junco, junco Tapatio, pitahaya orejona, reina de la noche, tasajo (mexico)
- Sweden: shortcake, pitahaya rod.
The nutritional value of 100 grams of dragon fruit is:
- Air 80-90 grams
- Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) 4-25 mg
- Ash 0.4-0.7 grams
- 6-10 mg calcium
- Calories: 35-50
- 9-14 grams carbohydrate
- Carotene (vitamin A) traces
- 0.1 to 0.6 grams of fat
- 0.3 to 0.9g fiber
- Iron 0.3-0.7mg Niacin (Vitamin B3) from 0.2 to 0.45mg
- Phosphorus 16-36 mg
- Protein from 0.15 to 0.5g
- Thiamine (vitamin B1) traces
- Riboflavin (vitamin B2) traces
Dragon fruit for health benefits:
- Boost the immune system. Dragon fruit is rich in vitamin C and fiber is beneficial for the body
- Helps digestion, because the dragon fruit is full of fiber.
- Lowering blood sugar levels in patients with type 2 diabetes.
- Avoid the formation of cancer cells caused by free radicals. Minerals and fiber contained in helping dragon fruit memberships toxins in the colon. And protects against colon cancer.
- As an antioxidant, as contained vitamin C, minerals, and phycobilin high, then the dragon fruit could prevent free radical and anti-oxidant properties of air.
- Helps regulate cholesterol levels.
- In addition, dragon fruit advantageous to accelerate wound healing, improve appetite, improve their eyesight, lose weight, improve memory.
The greatest benefits of dragon fruit are that it can help improve heart health. Because it can reduce the level of bad cholesterol, and the possibility of plaque builds up in the arteries and veins are very low or even not possible. The content of the dragon fruit is positive can enable HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) yang foresters can lower LDL (bad) cholesterol by reducing the receptors in the walls of arteries. Depending on a study published in the journal in 2010, the researchers found that eating dragon sump can help lower the risk of heart disease and high blood pressure. Because the dragon fruit membranes handgun manufactured fat that helps keep our hearts in good kneading. Besides, dragon fruit can lower the oxidative stress levels are soaring, which is one of the main factors for heart disease.
To enjoy the dragon fruit, in addition to the consumption directly, dragon fruit juice also can be done, and can be in the mix with other fruits to add flavor, as the following example.
Dragon fruit smoothie.
- 1 dragon fruit flesh take part only
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of coconut water
- 1 cup ginger juice.
Mix all ingredients and ready to enjoy.
Behind the appearance that a bit extreme, dragon fruit has a flavor that is a little bit tasteless. Much likes a melon, but not too sweet. After know of the benefits of dragon fruit, do not forget to always keep a dragon fruit at home, other than beauty to decorate the house. The benefit was no less vital to the body.